On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:59:39 -0400, Arnold Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Malcolm Cadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Phoebus,

Just a thanks to you for your excellent first article on internet access
for the QL in QL Today magazine - Volume 9, Issue 6, March/April 2005.

Thank you :-) I am glad that it is of some use to users :-)
Actually the second part... native hardware etc. is even more exciting. I am actually running Arachne and nettamer on my Q40 under PC Conqueror SE and it is pretty amazing... (Put PCs to work for QLs is ALWAYS fun wouldn't you agree?)

You tempted me in to doing the downloads of the software ported from
UNIX by Jonathan Hudson :

QL-Lynx, QL-FTP, QPOP3 and QDOS Emailer.

All available at : http://www.daria.co.uk

With your instructions, lynx worked first time ! ... and nice to see it
making use of the full screen with SMSQ/E and QPC.

I thought it was fun too... Plus it gave me an excuse for a plug to Tony's website which I find always very elegant in its simplicity... not to mention that it looks great in QL colours and fonts ;-) (Tony you can send me that cheque in the usual address)

I had previously had it working in an earlier version in a QDOS window
of 512x256.

The good thing and a testament to Jonathan's port's quality is that it works virtually everywhere :-)

I hope to find time to explore the FTP and email instructions more fully
later in the week.

Looking forward to the continuation in the next issue too.

I note that lynx was written for UNIX by Seung-Hong Oh, in 1996, whom I
can assume was a student at the time.

That would be fetchpop actually... I am currently working on a different mail client that is not as restricted as fetchpop (Mind you fetchpop is the exact same software -with minor alterations- that is used with soQL). Unfortunately fetchpop has severe limitations... plus it is a real pain in the rear to use, however for the time being is one of two choices ;-)

As for lynx, there are newer versions but I haven't had time to explore newest compilations. I know that one or two people have ported more recent versions of lynx to the ql but I am not even sure these support the https: protocol either. I will have to look into it.

He mentions as upgraded version being available in one of the texts,
which presumably did get completed, as this is nearly ten years ago.

I haven't seen one. I've been working on a completely different one that will be compatible with all major QL internet solutions including qlwIP. Unfortunately work on freeQDOS has a greater priority. As release milestone 1 approaches (freeQDOS can now boot but not do much else on a Q40 and Q60) I will be able to spend more time on that.

One of the things the QL port would benefit from is a nice 'front end' to integrate this as a suite of applications. Also a menu driven way of providing the details of the users system and preferences.

Exactly. I believe you will feel more at home therefore with QPOP3 which is graphical. With minor alterations, it can also get the system palette etc. to look up to date compared with modern PE software...

Using text editors and changing lines beginning with a # sign, is not
everyone's taste I am sure.

Yes, but you only have to do it once :-) But that's also a challenge for good guys like Dilwyn to sink his teeth in :-) I am sure he can write a configuration program for that sort of stuff (Yeah, sure throw the ball to poor Dilwyn's court. -Ed.)

Ffibys

  • ... Malcolm Cadman
    • ... Arnold Clarke
      • ... Malcolm Cadman
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
        • ... Malcolm Cadman
    • ... Arnold Clarke
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
        • ... P Witte
          • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
            • ... P Witte
            • ... Dilwyn Jones
              • ... Derek Stewart
                • ... Malcolm Cadman