On  Fri, 15 Jul 2005 at 23:52:48, John Gilpin wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>Here's one for the hardware boffins out there:
>
>Like Geoff W, I am attempting to transfer some programmes and data from
>Microdrives to the hard drive on my PC (running QPC2 V3.3)
>
>Q 1 Am I correct in saying that the most straight forward way of doing this
>is to first of all make a copy of the Microdrive into Ram1_ using the
>command "format Ram1_mdv1_" - see Tony F's recent email (and was there a
>typo in there? "QPAC2 'format ram1_md1_'"?)
Is that what I typed!  Of course it was worng.....

>Assuming that this is all correct in principle, I need a QL with working
>microdrives and a floppy interface.
>
>I have 3 working black box QLs:
>
>QL1 has the MC68008 chip removed and a Super Gold Card plugged in with a
>twin HD floppy drive as flp1_ and flp2_. The microdrives will not read or
>write on this QL (I'm not saying that they are faulty, just that they won't
>work with the SGC set-up - see below)
>
>QL2 & 3 have all the chips in and all the MDVs work ( read write and format)
>with nothing plugged into the expansion ports. BUT they do not have any
>Floppy facilities, and I have tried both a basic floppy controller (without
>additional memory on board) and a 768K Trump Card on both machines and on
>QL2, the MDVs continue to work but the Floppies both return a "Not Found"
>error while on QL3, the floppy drives both work and the MDVs do not.
>
>Q 2 Can anyone suggest a solution to my problems? - I suppose I could
>network two machines using the MDVs on one, the ram on either and the
>floppies on the other.
>
>Q 3. Could this be a power shortage problem when I plug in the expansion
>cards and if so is there a way round it? I have a number of expansion cards
>of various types from SGC to simple additional memory and Floppy controllers
>with/without memory.
>
>I have already spent numerous hours tinkering and getting nowhere. Any
>offers please?

Your QL1 statement is confusing.  You imply the mdvs work without flp,
but don't say. "I'm not saying they are faulty"!

Also describe completely what happens with mdvs on -all- machines.
ie do they spin at all, and does the spinning sound smooth.
It is all a bit vague.

BTW often the roller on mdvs rides up and touches the case top.

Tony

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
          tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk