On  Sun, 17 Jul 2005 at 13:16:23, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>> Those who suggested a serial lead link from blackbox to PC direct or
>> another blackbox - sounds great but where do I get the info on the
>>link
>> cable, plugs, pinouts etc and do I need to write some software to
>>control it
>> all? I once had two QL Aurora/SGC/QuBide rigs connected together via
>>the
>> network sockets with a twisted pair (that's the cable - not my wife
>>and I
>> !!) and although it was very slow, the results were positive. Is
>> this the
>> way to go?
>>
>> Once again, I plead for help. Now where are my back copies of
>>QLToday? -
>> thanks for the comments Dilwyn.
>Serial cables were also covered in Vol 7 Issue 1 (May/June 2002) page
>28 of QL Today.
>
>(So grateful to Brian Kemmett for the QL Today indexes to help find
>these things!)
>
>Once you have the correct cable, keep the baud rate low (4,800 or 9,600
>baud maximum) to connect to PC. No extra software should be needed, but
>you might need help with the PC side of things.
If you have Hermes, use 19200 (you will get a bit less than 14400
throughput).  With superHermes you can use 57,600.

>Here's the basic wiring diagram from that QL Today. Best to use SER2
>for QL to PC communication, as wiring is a bit easier since ser1 is
>basically wired as though it was a modem. If you do use ser1, simply
>swap pin 2 and 3 over, and swap pin 4 and 5 over.
>
>QL                                              PC        PC        PC
>SER2                                        Signal  25pin    9 pin
>2 (TxD)---------------------------- RxD      3            2
>3 (RxD) --------------------------- TxD       2           3
>4 (DTR=RTS) ------------------ CTS       5           8
>5 (CTS) -------------------------- RTS       4           7
>1 (GND) ------------------------- GND      7           5
This is exactly right....

>Although ser2 pin 4 is shown in the QL manual as DTR, Tony Firshman
>told me a while back it is more like an RTS signal as far as making
>these cables is concerned.
Indeed it is.
>You can then see that making up a serial cable is a simple matter of
>cross connecting the relevant signals, i.e. RxD to TxD and vice versa,
>and RTS to CTS and vice versa, and connecting the two ground signal
>lines together.

>As far as software is concerned you shouldn't need anything extra. On
>the QL, just a COPY MDV1_filename TO SER2 should work (if you have
>Toolkit 2 use COPY_H instead of the COPY command to force it to copy
>the header). If you are copying to DOS or Windows you will need the
>equivalent command from DOS command line on the PC (in Windows XP, go
>to All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt). In Windows XP anyway you
>can get help on its copy command with the command COPY /? (the /?
>switch telling it to print some help). From memory, I can't remember
>the full command, but it's something like:
>
>COPY COM1: C:\directory\filename
It is -much- better to use a comms program each end, and use a file
transfer protocol.  qtpi and zmodem are perfect the QL end.

>I confess to being a bit of an idiot with serial links. Tony Firshman
>swears there is nothing hard about the subject, but I always seem to
>run into every problem possible when I try, so good luck.
(8-)#

It helps having sold the Astracom modem and QuaLsoft file transfer.
All my -hard- work was done by 1989!

Tony
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
          tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk