Hi and good morning everybody,

my name is Alex, coming from Germany and just found my old QL in the cellar... after blowing the dust off the keys I recognized it again. How cool it looks... still one of the most beautiful devices I've even seen.

When I bought it in 1989, I was fascinated by this machine, but in this pre-internet-time I was not able to make some contacts to get some news or software.

So now, I fell somehow "retro" and want to make a new start. I already looked through the net and found a lot of unsorted infos, most of it too complicated for me to understand. I'm not interested in excessive hardware expansion. I just want to learn to code this machine, because I think there's a lot of things possible with the standard capabilities...

And of course, I want the feeling. So here come my questions:

- Is there a way to get software from the net onto microdrive cartridges, e.g. with a cable or something?

- Where can I find good FTP Servers with QL Software? (Most links that I found seem dead)

- I found some QL-World Scans with some game reviews in it. I'm interested in collecting games for the (standard) QL, as most of them don't seem to be just conversions from other systems but QL-specific developments. Is there some source on the net for this or do I have to buy them all, the real old stuff too?

- Is anyone out there who would transfer software onto my own microdrive cartridges, if I sent them to him?

So, now I have some hardware questions:

- Does a normal atari-compatible joystick work with the QL?

- Is there a kind of SCART-cable available? (The TV output is so terrible...)

- How much effort is neccessary to connect a cd-rom-drive to the QL? (Because I think it's the easiest way to get new software)

I'd be glad if someone could help me for a good start...
I'm curious and want to spend some fun time with this machine - don't want to spend much money on hardware and stuff.

Thank you very much
Alex

--
http://c64.alexanderklock.de