> The talks program was so packed that it ran over the whole of
> saturday and
> a lot of sunday. Highlights included Leon Heller's talk, Easyptr 4,
> Sudoku
> programs, Dilwyns display exhibition, the Quanta freebees and
> t-shirts,
> and the guess the QL hardware competition. The main problem was
> getting
> to sleep in the hotel whos heating made to much noise and heat.
> Simon
> Goodwin suggested we should link QLs in a network in future and play
> FTC etc.
>
> If you have a Tardis you can judge the event for yourself.
>
> --
>                       Tarquin Mills
Indeed, there were so many talks and so many people left the main room
for them at times that those of us left in the hall thought everyone
had gone home.

I hope everyone enjoyed my exhibition display and the collection of
old QL hardware - thanks to John Gilpin, John Gregory and David Batty
(and a few others) for their help with the collection of old hardware.
For those who did not manage to get to Portsmouth for QL Is 21, we
hope the exhibition will be at the Quanta AGM (possibly in Manchester)
next year.

QL Today carried an article about QL networking last year, I think
Jochen and I both learned a lot from that. The QL network is fairly
simple in many respects but still quite an amazing and cheap
networking option which was underused and undervalued in its time. We
can all find that article and learn about networks if Simon and
Tarquin organise something in the future. Of course, all credit to
Simon, he hooked up the QL network to a DIY Midi system with only some
software and a simple cable adaptor some time ago!

We all teased Simon a bit for the colours (yes, colours) of his jacket
at QL Is 21 (see picture on Quanta page on my website) but in all
seriousness he did a lot at the show, including that competition to
name and describe the various old hardware (well done John Hall for
getting full marks and getting £5 richer!)

Geoff Wicks picked up on the interest shown in using the new colours
and window manager and so on, sensing that many were interested and
wanted to make use of them, if only more information and tutorials
were available. Trouble was, there was so much happening at QL Is 21
that it was hard to keep up with it all! (Geoff had worked too hard
for me to keep up with it all!) Although in my position as editor of
QL Today until recently I was aware individually of things happening
on the QL scene, seeing it all come together at QL Is 21 was quite a
treat. From the visual treat and sheer efficiency of QDT to D-Miner's
sound and colours, from the rather lurid colour palettes I displayed
to Sudoku, it was quite a task to keep up with it all, but a pleasure
to see the QL come of age in its 21st year. Now all we have to do is
look forward to the next few years!

Roy Brereton has I believe now been made an honorary member of Quanta
for his years of service during which time he's served in most of the
committee capacities (Chairman, Secretary and Librarian at least, plus
short spells as temporary editor). He was presented with a momento at
the dinner on the saturday night, attended by about 30 people I think
(picture on Tony Firshman's website).