----- Original Message -----
From: "Dilwyn Jones"
To: "QL Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QL disk transfer

> In terms of the sort of query I was raising, most people in this
> situation seem to manage handling Unzip reasonably well, where people
> seem to get stuck seems to be:
>
> 1. Getting the downloaded software to a QL, whether it be via floppy
> disk, serial link or whatever.
>
> 2. Having downloaded Unzip onto a PC, how to get it onto a QL,
> unpacked (without an existing copy of Unzip, the catch 22 situation)
> even before you get to the point of unzipping something!
>
> Jonathan Hudson has documented how to self-extract Unzip, even to the
> point of explaining what to do when it stops half done as it does on
> some systems.

There is quite a simple solution to the chicken and egg problem with unzip.
Just send the enquirer a disk with it on. Most of us have a stock of old DD
disks we no longer use. Just wrap one in bubble foam, put in a  cheap
envelope with a second class stamp. I've done it many times.

I have also successfully sold many copies of QPC2. When someone asks for my
help in transferring files to a PC because they are abandoning the QL, I
send them a copy of the QPC2 demo disk. Often the next stop for them is Roy
or Jochen.

Sometimes the old fashioned solutions work best,

Best wishes,

Geoff

 PS What about a nice little challenge for Quanta? Investigate the
possibility of a telephone line at all shows and then offer a download
facility for those members who cannot access the internet!