Malcolm Cadman wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> I think that we have all been there, and "got the T-shirt" ... :-)
>
> If you are interested in computers / computing, then you tend to
> accumulate lots of them over the years.

Very true . . . sometimes I think I have too many and but then again, I
couldn't contemplate getting rid of any of them!!!
> At the moment the QL emulators are driving the software innovation, with
> more speed and functionality ( awful computer jargon word ).
>
> For example, I now use Tim Hunkins' QL Desk Top environment all the time
> with QPC2, along with Dilwyn's Launchpad suite too. To manage a QL
> system.
>
> When all set up it is easier, quicker, more fun, etc.
True, and although I will no doubt go down the emulation route at some
point, for me, personally at least, the original hardware still has its
place and so the two compliment each other - different types of fun, you
could say. Actually, it has been fun digging out my old machines to show
to my nephew currently studying Information Technology. That reminds me,
in spite of the Playstation Era, he too got hooked on Elite on my BBC B!!!
> The hardware is still interesting, and I appreciate that you are using
> the original hardware, and then expanding upon it.  Which is still fun
> too.
>
> However, hardware innovation has been quiet of late.  Hence the software
> side is more activate, and more talked about.

Indeed, and as has been said before, its a no-win situation: without the
hardware development, the software side stagnates and without software
development there is less incentive to develop hardware . . . oh well . . .