On 1 Sep 2006, at 16:39, Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:

>>  From SMSQE v3.10 I started having difficulty with the Q40, although
>> the Q60 was OK. The Q40 refused to recognise the hard disk and so
>> stopped early on in the BOOT after LRESPRing SMSQE. Typing RESET
>> corrected this. Unfortunately v3.12 crashes the Q40 altogether when
>> it is LRESPRd. Has anyone else found this?
>>
>> Also, although the Q60 appears to work with v3.12, in particular the
>> HISTORY is good, screen display is slower. Indeed in some cases I
>> have to wait up to four seconds before a response. Is this just me?
>>

> The cache handling for the Qx0 changed quite a bit during these
> versions. The
> caches are now set up to be off by default, leaving the Qx0 in the
> slowest -
> but "safest" state.
>
> Try using writethrough etc in your boot file.
>
> I don't have the problems you descibe, but then I have a Q60 - there
> *shouldn't* be any difference!

SMSQE v3.10 on the Q40 requires me to type RESET as i have said.
This, for some reason, allows the hard disk to be recognised, As you
say, operation is slow and I alter that by typing COPYBACK.

However, SMSQE v3.12 on the Q40 gets nowhere near a BOOT. If I LRESPR
v3.12, the machine immediately stops. So, at a very early stage,
something is wrong. Has anyone successfully used 3.12 on a Q40?

George