> I feel I'm a little late to join the party but I'm here now and
> ready
> to join the QL community. Ok, thats
> no quite true; the truth is I joined the QLQ (queue) back in 1984
> along
> with countless others. The wait
> was long and made all the longer because I was 18 and wanted it
> NOW!. I
> too got my letter from
> Sinclair offering a free cable of some description which i don't
> remember and can't actually remember
> using but nethertheless when it did arrive It was wonderful..... for
> about five minutes and then it
> was dead so i shipped it all back to Sinclair.... minus the heavy
> user
> guide of course, well, something
> had finally arrived and I wanted to hold on to it. Pretty soon
> another
> QL arrived and goodness, it
> worked and it didn't have a dongle, it had an AH rom but my mate had
> JM in his so I tried to get
> Sinclair to upgrade mine but they refused so I was stuck with it.
Welcome back! How many of us had experiences like that in 1984 ?!?!

A free serial printer lead IIRC.

> This was the start of a two year relationship which ended abruptly,
> dumped my QL for a 'Girl' and now
> I feel I must make amends.
If that girl is now your wife, I hope you know what you're doing!

> I have set myself some personal goals which hopfully I will
> achieve,
> number one is to actually learn
> to program in 68000 assembler, this may appear like a strange goal
> but
> I started learning Z80a assembler
> when I was in school but had far to many distractions so I didn't
> get
> beyond getting my name to fly
> around the screen very fast while the entire ascii charactor set was
> printed everywhere.... a very proud
There's a very good book for learning assembler, called "Assembly
Language Programming On The Sinclair QL" by Andrew Pennell. It was
published by Sunshine in 1984 or 1985. While obviously out of print
for years now, copies do turn up second hand from time to time. There
are a few PD documents about low level and 68000/68008 programming on
my website and on the QL Documentation CD:

http://dilwynjones.topcities.com/qldocs/qldocs.html

A lot of general information and software downloads are available from
my main website on www.dilwyn.uk6.net/index.html and if you can find
it on the site, there's a page with links to many of the better known
QL sites.

> moment for me and my ZX81. Also want to learn C on the QL ( use
> DEV-C++
> and Visual Studio 2005 on my PC )
> and of course, want to re-aquaint myself with SuperBASIC / SBASIC
> via
> SMSQ/E.
C68 is the "de facto" C compiler for the QL, although there are other
C compilers available.

The QL has a pretty good presence on the web and there's quite a lot
of good free software and information available. The user group Quanta
is still in existence more than 20 years on, and QL Today magazine is
still going strong.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, we try to be a helpful bunch
despite the occasional rattle getting thrown out of the pram.