In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Phil Kett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Rich Mellor wrote :

>> However, the main problem is that people are not willing to spend money in
>> order to improve their systems.
>> QPC2 is by far the best emulator available, and has the best support
>> available, but alas, people are looking to get as much as they can for
>> nothing and not recompense the authors for all their hard work.

>It's not about not wanting to recompense the authors - if I had the
>money to do so I would gladly hand it over. Some people are in a
>situation where they don't have spare cash to lay out on hobbies. I have
>the hardware already and have had for years - just because I spent money
>on the hardware an age ago doesn't mean that I have money to spend on
>software now.
>
>I would love to be able to just stump up the cash and buy a copy of QPC,
>buy a copy of QMAC and all the rest of the stuff I need to get going -
>the money just isn't there though. I suspect that there might be a lot
>of other people out there that if it was easy to develop for SMSQ or
>QDOS then they would.

The software that is around for the QL is not that expensive.  Plus once
purchased it has a long lifetime of use, as there are not many
competitors around to supersede or tempt with an alternative.

I bought QPC over 10 years ago, and most of the upgrades have been free,
and easily available now that we have web sites and the internet.

The enhancement in functionality during that period has been incredible,
and every new version has got quicker in operation.

I have also bought both QDT - QL DeskTop - and Launchpad.  Even though
they do a similar job.

Running all of these together with the latest SMSQ/E makes for a smooth
environment to work within.

What has been lacking recently is new and interesting applications that
run on the system.

Rich Mellor wrote :

>> I just wish I could find a way of bringing QWord to the PC games market as
>> people are willing to pay for good games, but they would not want to
>> purchase a full QPC2 just to be able to run it.

>What was Qword written in? Basic? You could try porting it to something
>like Dark Basic for the PC.... Though it has to be said that although
>people in the PC world are willing to pay for good games, there are so
>many good games out there (especially for Linux) that are free that to
>pay for something it needs to be exceptionally good!

I think that QWord is a mixture of Assembler and compiled BASIC.
However, Rich will probably give a reply.

If QWord were get to a price point of say £9.99 for a copy on CD-ROM,
for sale to PC users.  Then sales of 1000 would give £10K.  Which is
significant.

Given the millions of PC users that figure, and much more would be
achievable

If a cut down, runtime version of QPC / SMSQ/E came with it, then PC
users would be oblivious of their machine having been taken over by a QL
Emulator.

Which would in itself be a neat reversal ... :-)

--
Malcolm Cadman