On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:32:15 +0100, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>> agree - perhaps Quanta would be better to say, purchase 5 licences  and
>> then offer to give them away - that would probably be more  than enough
>> meet demand.
>

> Have to say I dont agree, buying the rights or an unlimited licence
> future
> proofs the use of QMAC for new entrants to QL computing. 5 free copies
> are
> likely to be snapped up by existing users. Contacting Quanta and possibly
> joining to get a free copy creates yet another barrier for a new
> entrant. What
> happens when the 6th person comes along and asks for a copy - perhaps a
> Quanta
> member who is upset to discover that the free copies have gone to non
> members?
> My advice is keep it simple get an unlimited licence (if not
> unreasonably
> priced) and make it freely downloadable from the sources  page.
> Duncan

That would of course be the easiest and best solution, but as John Gilpin
rightly said there are two issues:

1) as yet they have not confirmed how much they would need to pay for a
licence
2) no-one has actually contacted him after the initial discussion on the
mailing list to say that they would be interested in a copy if they were
free.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services