On 27/02/2010 22:32, Tony Firshman wrote:

However the QL 'archive/abacus' export only outputs data if the first column cell is non blank. This looks like a bug to me. Is it cured in any versions of Xchange - mine is 3.90J?

I think that this is NOT a bug but a FEATURE since it is referred to in the "Information" section of the original QL Users Guide On page 1 of the Information section there is a list of Rules and Rule 2 states: "If the first cell of any Row (or Column) is empty then that row (or column) is not exported."

The rest of these rules may be relevant to you too - worth a read! :-)
All is OK if I put a blank row and fill it with any data.
If I then import from row 2 in Excel, then all looks fine.

This is a method that I have employed on occasions and it seems to work well but you may have to be careful about the data type that you put in.(See Rule 3.)
Is there a way around this?
I have hundreds of files to export so this is a real pain.
I don't know of a way round this and the number of files I have had to export is much smaller than yours so less of a pain.

Regards,

John Gilpin.

Incidentally there is no need at all to modify the files to give an extension. Simply leave the _exp there, and load files in Excel as type *.* .

Tony