Bob Spelten wrote:
> WMAN2 provides support for up to 32K colours for PE window elements,
> direct or through the use of 1 to 4 System Palettes or a User Palette set
> up in RAM.

True. This was the main reason for WMAN2.

> It also supports sprites in 8, 16 or 24 bit modes with Alpha masks or no
> mask, with RLE compression, of sizes only limited by its window

These, however, are strictly speaking not WMAN2 features, but GD2
features (the original GD2 drivers didn't have them either, I added
that stuff later).

> and chained as extended sprites for each mode of the clickable
> items.

This, again, is a WMAN2 feature.

Okay, I'll try to reiterate the facts:

WMAN2 is like WMAN1, but:
 - can make use of high colour (GD2) drivers
 - introduced the "system palette" so that windows can conform to
   a "colour theme" of the user's choice
 - sprites in loose items (buttons) can change depending on the fact
   if the item is selected, the mouse is hovering above the item etc.
 - can show the whole window while a window is moved, or at least its
   outline, instead of just the move sprite.
 - includes 3D border styles to give windows a more modern 3D look

GD2:
 - Introduced the extended colour modes
 - Can use high colour sprites
 - Can use alpha blending for the sprites
 - As sprite data can become huge, I added simple RLE compression
 - For solid sprites, the mask can be omitted entirely
 - Sprites can be as huge as the screen (this change and the last one
   in effect makes sprites usable as a sort of QL graphics format. The
   big advantage is that GD2 handles the colour mode conversions
   automatically)
 - introduced TRUE background I/O
 - can use a sprite as the input cursor
 - introduced "system sprites" (corresponding to the "system palette"
   users can exchange the sprites with their own and all compatible
   applications will use the new theme)
 - introduced "true" shadows for high colour modes

As for PE for QDOS:
 - has all WMAN2 features except high colour support

As for the rest of the stuff listed under GD2 I'm not exactly sure.
Usually I tried to improve PTR_GEN enough so that apps developed for
SMSQ/E can still work under QDOS (i.e. when you use system sprites, it
will still work under QDOS). Under Minerva even the background I/O
support should work.

Marcel