More information,

Windows XP:

Ok, formatting a blank disc fails in Windows Explorer because there are no options in any of the drop down lists for capacity, volume name etc. The OK button works (as does Cancel) warns me that formatting will destroy all data on the disc, then OK just ignores me and does nothing.

Format a: /FS:FAT  in a dos box works perfectly.

Once DOS formated, QPC can read it as a DOS formatted floppy. So far so good.

In SBasic, the format flp1_TEST command works. (At least, using a 720 KB disc it does.) However, it formats to 1.44 Mb rather than 720 KB and it's noisy. There are no HD holes in the floppy - so maybe the drive is lying to QPC/Windows?

A completely blank unformatted disc also formats under QPC - but this time correctly to 720 Kb. This time the format is as quiet as I remember QL formats to be. :-)

Reformatting the first one again using SBasic or QPAC2 results in a noise 1.44MB Format.

Windows 7 still to come. ;-)

Cheers,
Norm.

--