On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Neil Riley <neil.ri...@boxclever.co.uk> wrote:

>>Most likely ext2 or ext3.
>
> My Linux based SYNOLOGY DS211j NAS drive is great for reading external dives
> formatted ext2 / 3.  I use my windows XP based laptop, using CHROME, sign on
> the NAS drive and use it's in built gui front end (which is brilliant btw!).
> If only all
> devices had such well written firmware.
>
> Neil

> The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient.
> It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor
> may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact the company
> on 01234-265380, then delete it from your system. Please note neither the
> company nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your
> responsibility to scan attachments (if any) for viruses.
> No contract may be concluded on behalf of the company by means of email
> communications.
>
> BC Services (UK) Limited (trading as Boxclever), Technology House,
> Ampthill Road, Bedford, MK42 9QQ.  Registered No. 5290544 England
>
>  www.boxclever.co.uk

The main issue I suspect you'll face has nothing to do with Linux:

TiVo, under pressure from content distributors, saves the video files
on the drive in encrypted form, and decrypts them on the fly when
playing them. Each DiVo unit has a unique key used to decrypt the
files from drives on that TiVo, such that even placing the drive in a
different TiVo renders the files unreadable.

The question then becomes: Is the content of the drives so difficult
to extract that it might be better to obtain the stored shows from an
alternate source, rather than investing the time and platform needed
to crack and convert the files into a readable form?

Dave