Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:57 PM
To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Subject: [Ql-Users] Teleconference idea

Recent discussions about holding a physical meeting have gotten me
thinking. Someone mentioned skyping as a possibility, and I can tell you
that another retro computing group (the CoCo group) have held online-only
events in the past. These were very informal and low-key, and while they
were repeated only a handful of times, they were extremely easy to
coordinate.

Along that line, I'm offering for your consideration two proposals:

-- The informal approach is that I will lead an effort to determine the
most common IM program used among interested parties (hopefully Skype). I
will collect contact information and then schedule a first call. I'll try
to gather consensus on a schedule and an agenda. In other words, I will
facilitate and then happily let others lead discussions they are interested
in.

-- The Big Bang approach is to model after what the virtual tabletop
role-playing conventions do -- they host schedules for individual tables,
and allow interested parties to lead those "tables". They allow signup for
these tables and coordinate all of the interested parties into a
(essentially) private meeting space. These are essentially a large online,
virtual convention -- but focused on smaller interest topics (in this case,
individual role playing game sessions). I could perhaps leverage websites
that cater to this type of convention and, again, help facilitate smaller
groups to get together at various times over some pre-planned convention
weekend.

I do not intend to step on Quantas toes here as I know they are separately
trying to schedule a more robust and higher scale venture. I'm more
interested in seeing if there is interest in something a lot less formal,
on the side, and not necessarily tied to any Quanta business -- global in
scale. I have very little to no budget to do this, although I believe there
isn't much need for such a budget.  This is mostly a volunteer time kind of
thing for all parties.