Da: ql-users-boun...@lists.q-v-d.com
[mailto:ql-users-boun...@lists.q-v-d.com] Per conto di Geoff Wicks
Inviato: domenica 3 novembre 2013 21:04
A: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Oggetto: Re: [Ql-Users] R: QLis30 programme

On 03/11/2013 16:51, Ian Pine wrote:

> I'm not sure which country is preferred to hold an event but I could
> not justify the expense of travelling outside UK at the moment.
>
> If to be held in UK what about seeing if something could be done in
> co-operation with The National Museum of Computing
> http://www.tnmoc.org, perhaps at their place in Bletchley Park? One
> advantage is that there would be plenty of other computing history,
> aside from the QL, to attract visitors.
>
> I've been meaning to make another visit to Bletchley Park for ages, so
> a one-day QL event there would certainly coax me out of my armchair.
>
> Ian.

I hope I have not caused confusion. If there is an event it would be a UK
event.

My personal opinion is that there is no point in having a traditonal Quanta
show. They are burnt out and are of no interest to the members.
Last year's show at Manchester was the worst I have ever attended. Two days
with just two presentations both on the Sunday. Scarcely any mixing and
badly attended presentations. I had the impression that some people were
only there because they felt they had to be and just stayed at their tables
doing their own thing.

At the end of the show the committee had a tut tut session and asked how we
could approve attendance. They came up with a brilliant solution for this
year - a carbon copy of last year! And then Sarah grumbles why attendance
was bad and screams "APATHY" in the Quanta Magazine.
(Although she did spare us the capital letters this year.)

We have to break with this pattern. That's why I referred to shows abroad as
possible models. Let's stop having the obsession with numbers and instead
look at the quality of the event.

I don't know whether Bletchley Park would be financially feasible, but I
like the idea of combining some form of social activity with the business.
It would also get us back nearer to the South of England.  No problem with
day travel for the commitee - Bletchley is on the West Coast Line which also
serves the small village of Manchester. The venue is 300 metres from the
station,

Best Wishes,

Geoff