Yo! Norman,

Apologies for lack of feedback. I guess I thought youd be inundated with
acclaim and would therefore not notice ;o) But this is QL-land, of course.
I should have remembered..

I dont actively program at the moment, just skim through the text and
listings to remind myself what its all about. Your tutorial (so far) seems
a solid piece of work, beautifully executed! I prefer the html version, but
it is messy to archive due to all the little files, so after reading I keep
only a copy of the pdf for future reference. I dont have readers for the
other versions..

When I started programming in assembler, the first hurdle was getting my
head round the logistics: How to get the code into the machine? It seems
trivial now, and everyone who already knows takes it all for granted (an
additional problem for those who dont). I started with the Metacomco
Assembler package. It was the best, most professional solution at the time,
but far too technical for a punter, not in a technical or academic
environment, trying to figure out things on his ownsome. Then along came
the Computer One assembler, a simple, integrated package, without a linker
or library tools to complicate matters. Combined with their symbolic
debugger (C1 Monitor) it was an eye-opener, and eased my way into the weird
and wonderful world of 68k assembler and QDOS.

The setup I use today is based on a conglomerate of the best available
tools, revolving around Qmake. It is simple and fast, and very capable.
However, it requires a relatively high-powered, modern system, with
components from many different sources, some free, some bought. A short
introduction or appendix on What You Need to Get Started might be useful to
lower the threshold. A few possible setups could be described, with
pointers to the necessary software. Just a thought. Im not suggesting you
do the work, other than, perhaps, packaging it into the neat format of your
tutorial. Perhaps people like Jochen, Dilwyn, George,.. could supply
details of their setup? (You can have mine, for what its worth.) It may
just nudge a few more people across that divide between theory and practice.

Per