Daniele Terdina wrote:
> Marcel, do you know if any free VHDL simulation/analysis tools
> exist that may be close to a code debugger (breakpoints etc., if that makes
> sense)?

No idea, I've last worked with FPGAs 10 years ago and that was with
actual hardware, some Altera evaluation board running a Nios soft
core. After grading an IT paper that concerned itself with chip design
for a College in Stuttgart last fall I read up on it again, but soon
realized that I just don't have enough time to follow through... one
day perhaps.

But if the the core already sort-of-works I guess it might even be
easier to check with actual hardware than in usually much slower
simulation.

Cheers, Marcel