On 19 April 2015 08:38:29 BST, "Tobias Fröschle" <tobias.froesc...@t-online.de>
wrote:
>Norman,
>
>it probably was a „If we can’t get them all, we probably shouldn’t even
>start looking for them“-decision.
>
>Potential of lurking errors in window definitions is immense and a full
>check of the definition in WM_SETUP is maybe a bit ambitious.
>
>After all, the Tebby team used the QPTR macros that do quite a bit of
>sanity check during the compile of a definition (I don’t use them
>either). Maybe they considered the whole thing part of the program that
>doesn’t need checking by the application ;)
>
>Tobias
>

>> Am 18.04.2015 um 20:44 schrieb Norman Dunbar
><nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk>:
>>
>> Evening all,
>>
>> I've spent some free time today examining a problem I've been having
>for some time. LibGen (anyone remember that?) when executed displays
>the window on screen and works fine until I exit from the program. At
>that point, QPC no longer is able to receive the cursor - it passes
>behind the QPC window as opposed to over the top of it.
>>
>> I should point out that QPC 4.0 is running on Mint Linux 17.1, 64
>bit, under Wine.
>>
>> I know what the problem is, I created the window for LibGen without
>an application sub-window menu, so I simply added one in manually, but
>I screwed up! I think the major fault was defining the pointer to the
>menu items status block to be zero when obviously, that means it's the
>same status area as the entire Window's status area. There may well
>have been other problems!
>>
>> I've rolled back my changes and the code works fine, and when I ESC,
>QPC stays usable. Hooray. So, WM_SETUP returns no errors, ever. It's
>says so in the documentation. Does anyone have any clues as to why this
>should be?
>>
>> It's (obviously) clear that errors should occur in WM_SETUP when
>someone like me does something stupid. Even after all these years, I
>still find bits appear to be missing from the docs. Pan/Scroll control
>block definitions, for example, where are they in the Window Definition
>docs? Nowhere (that I can find anyway) although there is mention of
>them in the Window Working Definition docs.
>>
>> I haven't looked at the code, nor am I requesting/demanding/hinting
>that someone should do something about it. I'm just wondering why this
>quite important feature of WMAN should care so little about the correct
>setup of the window definition data.
>>
>> End of eRant! ;-)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Norm.
>>

>> --
>> Norman Dunbar
>> Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd
>>
>> Registered address:
>> 27a Lidget Hill
>> Pudsey
>> West Yorkshire
>> United Kingdom
>> LS28 7LG
>>
>> Company Number: 05132767

Morning  Tobias,

I expect Tony Tebby must have assumed that everyone would use his macros. I bet
he never even considered that WM_SETUP could crash an emulator when he wrote it
either!

Given that different bits of a PE program setup use different macros though, I
doubt that there's really a whole lot of sanity checking that could be done.

Personally I would have made each chunk of PE structures take a signature word
at the start to identify them as a window definition, a loose item, etc. That
would help. Maybe.

Cheers,
Norm.
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity and any
"auto corrections" that are just wrong!