On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 23:17:52 +0100, Peter Graf wrote:

> .../...
> > No chance to get a "larger" (i.e. with more gates) CPLD that would fit
> > the same socket ?... Or perhaps by using a modern and larger (in both
> > size and number of gates) CPLD that would piggy-back on the old CPLD
> > socket via a small adpater printed circuit ?...
>
> I have considered that, but adaptors which fit into PLCC are
> prohibitively expensive and hard to get.

Well, the mod could also involve unsoldering the PLCC (correct me if
I'm wrong but IRC, it's a through-holes one) and replacing it with
pinheads, for example, that would plug into the add-on board.

> > A native 800x600 resolution would be a definitive (and probably the
> > best) solution to the problem, so I think it would be worth investigating
> > some more its feasability...
>
> Still 800x600 would require change of all three operating systems

These are extremely *minor* and *easy* changes (and SMSQ/E can already
cope with 800x600 screens)...

> and several pieces of application software! Moreover, software that directly
> writes into QL 512x256 would fail, like the beloved QL Chess.

Frankly, such old pieces of software are probably best ran from emulators
if they can't cope with variable size/address display... They would also
fail to run on a QXL in (S)VGA mode or on an Aurora/SGC system too. I won't
call this an issue and I think this kind of "incompatibility" should not
limit and forbid us to get a better Q60 display...

> .../...
> > However, another issue with this solution could be the lack of room to
> > piggy-back a daughter board on the EPROM slots, especially with the 2
> > ISA slots occupied and a heat-sink+fan on the 68060...
>
> It depends. Using SMD components, the board could be about as small as
> the ROM socket area.

In this case, I think it's still worth a solution...

> Q68 runs about QXL speed, even without the cache I am working on.

Not bad at all.

> Features
>
> - Plain 68000 core, 68020 nearly complete
> - 32 MB SDRAM
> - PS/2 keyboard and mouse
> - Two fullsize SD card interfaces
> - SER
> - Ethernet
> - Battery buffered RTC (and yes, the battery is separate!)

:-D

> - Stereo sound
> - Up to 1024x768 VESA VGA, QL modes in hardware
> - 8x10 cm board size, fitting existing nice case
> - Single 5V power supply
>
> I demonstrated my Q68 at the "QL is 30" show, where someone took a picture:
>
> http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1087&start=10
>
> Meanwhile I replaced the wired components you see on that picture by SMD
> for machine manufacture. QDOS Classic and Minerva are running, but
> issues with QL-SD driver and Pointer Environment.

Sounds and looks good... The small size would make it an ideal "portable"
QL...

Thierry.