Marcel,

As I am working on accelerated boards, would you be willing to outline the
tuning/timing issues and what code needs editing to achieve correct
performance? How do you test? By successive approximation, or using a
calculation?

EG: Issue 8 runs the logic at 8MHz and the 8049 has a standard 11.0592 xtal
(1/8th the price of an 11.0000 xtal and still works) for baud rate
generation. This allows the Issue 8 to eke out about 10% extra CPU
performance by running the CPU a little faster.

Sidebar: I've been learning about the dirty tricks the QL pulls by
asserting /DTACK long before the data is actually ready in the hope it will
be, and how this limits CPU speed. It's surprising what you can do with
much faster RAM *and* a slight delay on the 8301's assertion of /DTACK will
do. Passing /DTACK through all four inversions of a 78LS00 bought me a 33ns
delay, and got me a bit of overclockability. That was a night, I can tell
you! Catch is, how does the CPU tell where /DTACK is being generated from?
 (Nasta is a good teacher.)

PS: "Overclockability" IS SO A WORD! :P

Dave

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Marcel Kilgus via Ql-Users <
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com> wrote:

> I have released a new (or actually two new) versions of TK2.
>
> One versions only includes the timing critical parts of the QL-NET
> code and the rest can be LRESPRed afterwards.
>
> The other versions included the complete QL-NET code and misses the
> "ED" SuperBasic editor instead, which can be LRESPRed afterwards.
>
> Depending on your QL-NET affinity you can chose which version you like
> more, in the end both version have the same capabilities when the
> missing parts are loaded.
>
> https://www.kilgus.net/2017/03/19/toolkit-ii-the-sequel/
>
> Marcel

Dave Park