Marcel wrote:

>Of course not. QPC is a platform all by itself. It does not need to
>imitate anything.

IMHO QPC is a good software emulator, but not a platform by itself. If it
was a platform, you could run an operating system on it!

QPC can't do that. For examle it can not run QDOS. Or any other OS.

QPC "only" imitates SMSQ on application level, restricted to plain 68000 code.

>> My belief is that QPC should completely incorporate all the features
>> of a Q40
>
>Which are? Limiting the available screen resolutions? Limiting SER to
>4 ports again? The sound is the only difference I see. Something I
>might take care of someday.

Sound is indeed a nice feature of the Q40. If you ask for other interesting
Q40 features QPC could incorporate, here are some:

- Floating Point Instructions
- Memory Management Unit
- At least 68020 support. IIRC QPC is restricted to 68000 code
- Real SMSQ/E partitions on harddisk

All of this would be more important than the >4 SER ports you pointed out.
BTW Q40 hardware isn't even limited to 4 ser ports.

>> And what about hi-colour modes. Why shouldn't they be compatible
>> across SMSQ/E systems that share similar capabilities?
>
>QPC is compatible to the QXL, both use a standard 16 bit layout. I
>haven't seen the Q40 layout anywhere else.

QLs have always been different from PCs ;-)

BTW it was a decision of Tony Tebby. I offered a change to PC color
definitions but he wanted me to leave it the Q40 way.

Peter