Dilwyn Jones wrote:

> I had reason to fire up my MinisQL tonight for the first time in a
> long time. The reason was: I needed an 'old' system. I was trying to
> copy a disk with CHR$(0) in the filename and of course SMSQE sees this
> as a DOS disk filename separator or something and gets totally
> confused finding it on a QL system. OK, no problem, fire up the
> MinisQL with QDOS to copy and rename the files, then find that the
> floppy disk drive does not work. The power is getting to it, but no
> drive light, no files listed (on any floppy disk!). Anyone got any
> idea what might be wrong - the system is Aurora, Super Gold Card,
> Qubide 2.1, Mplane...
>
> Not that expensive to find a new drive of course, but if anyone has
> any suggestions to save a few pounds! (The rest of the MinisQL works
> OK, just can't get the floppy drive to work).
>
> Good job I kept an old QL + disk drives in the attic, eh?
>
> --
> Dilwyn Jones
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.soft.net.uk/dj/index.html

Couple of things Dilwyn

1. Did you try when coping the file with chr$(0) enclosing the whole
file name in quote marks, this has worked for me in the past, I don't
know if I've used it with SMSQE but it might be worth a try.

2. On you Minis, try reading the floppy with no disc in the drive, if it
comes up with no media then try insert the floppy and reading it, this
often works I think it's is something to do with perceived DOS files and
a DOS thing.

All the best - Bill
2.