>>DJ_OPEN_DIR("FLP1_")
>>FETCH_BYTES(#Chan, 64)
>>Do changes here
>>MOVE_POSITION(#Chan, -64)
>>print #Chan, New 64 bytes header ; <-- SEMI-COLON VERY IMPORTANT !!!
>>
>>from DJToolkit might be of use then !
>
>Nice idea Norman, just tried it. Sadly, seems like opening a channel
>to the directory with DJ_OPEN_DIR or FOP_DIR is read only in the
>current DV3 filing system, certainly using PRINT or BPUT to try to
>send either the whole 64 bytes header or individual bytes gives a
'bad
>parameter' error on trying to write to the header directly. Next
>effort will be to use something like GetHEAD and SetHEAD to see if
>more 'official' methods will work.

No, GetHEAD and SetHEAD won't work either, since QPC doesn't allow me
to open a channel to the file to be renamed (I suppose if it did, I
wouldn't need to alter the filenames in the first place.

Interestingly, if you try to open a file such as OPEN
#3,'flp1_'&chr$(0)&'test' it creates a file called 'flp1__test' (the
CHR$ 0 is replaced by an underscore) but the reverse is not true - a
filename containing a NUL seems to be protected in some way. DIR will
list it, but that's as far as you'll get.

OK, a challenge to you and other resourceful guys out there, short of
suing a disk editor, or going back to a level 1 QL, any other
ingenious ways around this?

--
Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]