Per wrote:

>Of course Im interested in a Q60, but I know very little about them, like:
>cost, delivery, compatibility, reliability, how difficult is it to assemble
>(special equipment required, etc), networking (can you network two+ of them
>under Linux, for example?), upgradability (CPU, RAM), expansion,
>warranty/support, .. that should just about cover it! ;)

Cost, delivery:

Too early for an official announcement, because some non-technical problems
have to be solved before series production can start. I have only built few
prototypes for developers and the costs for single machines are higher than
a batch of boards. But you can expect the Q60 to be faster and cheaper than
the Atari clones with 68060.

compatibility:

Only known incompatibility is with a few CDROM drives. Everything else like
Q40 so far. SMSQ/E patch required.

reliability:

What are you asking for? A 10 year test? :-)
Only thing I can tell is that the Q40 hardware runs for 3.5 years without
any hardware failures. The Q60 is build on the same PCB with some
modifications.

how difficult is it to assemble:

As simple as a PC mainboard. A few screws and the connectors. Fits directly
into Minitower/Desktop case (AT formfactor preferred).

networking (can you network two+ of them under Linux, for example?)

Yes you can. Full TCP/IP and Ethernet support under Linux. Modern 10 Mbit
ethernet ISA card with jumpers required.

Upgradability (CPU, RAM):

Upgrade CPU to what? The Q60 uses the fastest possible 68K processors. The
80 MHz Q60 is the fastest 68K computer on the whole world I heard of. If
you know something faster, please let me know :-)

RAM: 60ns PS/2 EDO modules 16 MB upgradeable to 32 MB on existing second
socket. Option for 64 / 80 / 128 MB will probably be offered, but only
Linux support available by now. SMSQ /QDOS work, but only use up to 32 MB.

expansion:

No PCI/AGP/USB, since 32 bit graphics onboard and no SMSQ / QDOS support
anyway. Q60 extension bus has two slots for ISA cards, one use by IO card.
More slots electrically possible if you find a case with slot riser/extender.

warranty/support:

Well the QL community is known to help each other, isn't it. What more do
you expect? A 24 hour phone hotline?

Peter