In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wolfgang
Wolters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>I'm a computer enthusiast from Germany. I know the Sinclair QL since the
>very beginning. My brother bought one around 1984. Back in that time I used to
>have a laser VZ200. Later I got an BBC B model some time later an PC 486.
>Now I work at a software company (producing a java framework, GOA).
>My main business is to help people getting started with our Products.
>Most of the times I work with PC's and UNIX Servers. At home I use an
>Acorn RISC PC (with Stron ARM). This is an excelent machine.
>Now I wanted to go back to the roots so I wondered if I could get the
>QL from my brother back to work. I also own an stripped of QL without
>some of the main chips inside. It lacks of the CPU (this I got in my Desk)
>and the main components. Now for my Questions.
>Could someone help me on what to buy (or what not to buy) what documents
>to read at first and so on. The QL from my brother is a naked machine
>without extra memory or disks.
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

It is good to see that you are looking to find the 'roots' of your
computing skills :-)

You have obviously developed forward to a high level ... from relatively
'humble' home computers.

I have enjoyed using a QL too, from the very start of its life; and like
you I highly appreciate the RISC OS system - both a testament to the
ingenuity of English programmers and entrepeneurs.

With the equipment that you already have you can soon get it back to a
very interesting condition.  Look at Dilwyn Jones' web site for a good
amount of information.

Yet, briefly.  The inbuilt microdrives are now seldom used.  You need to
add a disk interface, of which many were produced.  The most interesting
now are either Gold Card or Super Card - as these will easily allow you
to run all the latest software.  These are available second hand too.
Try to visit a QL show in Germany or France, or come over to England.

The interface will give access to 3 1/2 " floppy drives of various
densities.  Thanks to the still relatively small size of QL software you
will be able to run most of the new things that are now important to
have - many of which are available as freeware too ( with the popularity
of the internet ).

Hard drive interfaces are also available, and many systems have been
built up in a PC style casing, allowing PC keyboards and hi-res colour
monitors to be used.  There is quite a lot there, alone, to really
interest you !

The important software developments have been - in no particular order -
SMSQ a new operating system for the QL platform, Turbo Toolkit a set of
extensions to enhance software use, SuperBASIC compilers like Turbo, C68
ported to the QL, etc ... again a lot for you to discover !

Other interesting developments have been the QXL Card, which puts a QL
operating system/hardware into your PC.  QL emulators like QPCv2 which
runs the QL system on any PC.  These, of course, give you access to
newer devices like CD-ROMs, Zip Drives, etc.  The latter is ideal for
any portable PC that you may already own.

In Germany Jochen Mertz's web site is your best starting point.

I hope this helps ... alot for you do ... enjoy !!

Look forward to having you as a contributor to this users list.

--
Malcolm Cadman