Anthony W. Prime makes some magical things to make me read
}
} >BTW. does Motorola actually still make the 68XXX processor, or is there just
} >an enormous stock in a warehouse somewhere that people are buying chips
} >from? Coming from the Mac world, I tend to look on them as being a bit
} >antediluvian.
}

>From Motorola document (Product Information, First Quarter 2000),
the some packaging of 68020/68030 series are removed from sales on 31/12/2000
and would last be available (if you bought them before) the 30/6/2001.
The packaging is changing, but they seems to still make them.

For instance, they still sold embeded board with a 68040
(they upgraded the kind of memory needed, but it's still that old 68040!)
I really like Motorola for there low advertisement on speed:
 a 66 MHz M68060 is really a 66 MHz (outside), even if internally there
 is two unit... and more...

With the same approach, Intel would still have to advertise the P3 B
as a 100 MHz processor and the EB as 133 MHz. That would keep the hype
out of business!