>> Mind you I found ED drives dodgy for anything other than ED disks.
>
>I've found 720K (DD or 1.44M HD conv'd to DD by covering id hole)
seem to be
>ok in mine.
Will be OK used in the same drive. Give them to someone with a DD
drive and I'll bet you there's a high chance they won't read properly!

I had an HD drive a few years ago which insisted on formatting
everything to DD. Steve Bourne of QBits at the time diagnosed no (or
faulty) disk size sensor on it and put a switch on it to 'force'
formatting to either DD or HD depending on the switch position.

I also ran into a problem with my Miracle ED drives+Gold Card where
the drives seemed uncertain as to the density of disk in the drive.
Using the *D and *H appendix to the FORMAT command got around that
one. It was never consistent and always happened well into a session,
presumably some software was corrupting something. Every now and then
there'd be a groan from the drives when writing something and that was
the end of that disk and it had to be reformatted, presumably writing
sectors to the wrong place as Robert found.

FORMAT "FLP1_1234567890*D" forces it to format as a DD disk

FORMAT "FLP1_1234567890*H" forces it to format as a HD disk

I went through a whole heap of tests and attempted fixes when this
happened. The usual cure consisted of ensuring files were closed,
DEL_DEFB or change disks to get rid of the slave blocks and so on.
Didn't always work (so I'm suspicious if it was a real 'fix') but
sometimes when doing this a disk would come up as bad/changed medium,
then  DEL_DEFB, change disks, DEL_DEFB again and the 'bad medium' disk
would magically be readable again. Obviously, something was happening
to the slave blocks which if I could change disks before they were
written out would prevent the disk being damaged.

--
Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]