At 03:59 μμ 9/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Phoebus R. Dokos wrote:
> >Hello again and thanks for everyone that responded to my previous
>question.
> >The question now is:
> >Is it possible to place the text cursor ABSOLUTELY according to a
>given
> >window or the screen (that is without using @#!@$~~!@## SCALE)????
>
>For a given window, simply use CURSOR #channel,x,y
>This positions the cursor like AT #channel,y,x (note reversed x,y
>values, and use of PIXELS rather than character squares)
>
>A second version of CURSOR is very useful, since it allows you to
>specify text to be placed using graphics co-ordinates and offset by a
>given number of pixels. This lets you place text using the same
>co-ordinates as LINE, POINT, ARC, CIRCLE etc. So if you are using
>SCALE to create graphics, this is the best way to ensure text and
>graphics are placed in the same positions.
>
>CURSOR #channel,x,y,x_offset,y_offset

Yes but as I said again for the above (and the below) CURSOR is useless due
to the problems with SCALE on non 2:1 screens, In effect you print in East
and it ends up West :-)

For a small gui like the one I am experimenting with, which relies on
bitmap graphics, it is ESSENTIAL that the text goes where I want it, else
you'll end up having windows that can't be resized but only in increments
allowed by the OS. I believe that the trick is to utilise as much OS
routines as possible (minimizing thus the amount of time for calculations)

>If you have a POINT 50,50: LINE TO 100,100 then CURSOR
>#channel,50,50,0,0:PRINT"Text" would position text at the 50,50 point.
>To avoid overwriting the point, move the text a few pixels with
>something like CURSOR #channel,50,50,10,10:PRINT"Text"
>
>I'm not sure if this is what you meant, hope it helps anyway. One
>final point - this version of cursor does not always work in
>SuperBASIC on Sinclair ROMs. I think Turbo and QLiberator compile this
>and fix the problem and it's also fixed in SBASIC (not sure about
>Minerva BASIC)

It is fixed for standard QL modes, for "exotic" resolutions, (like the one
I'm using... hehe another story)

Also for the fun of it, using ONLY S*basic, I was able to draw an absurd
amount of windows (more complex than the one you saw) per minute :-)