In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tarquin Mills
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Malcolm Cadman wrote:
>>Peter Graf wrote:

>>>......the QL would have been more successful than the Macintosh, there'd be
>>>a million active QL users, and Motorola would be producing 3rd generation
>>>850 MHz 68060 CPU's ;-)
>>
>>A floppy disk drive would certainly have made it more successful - if
>>people would have been prepared to pay for it.  Around 1/3 to 2/3 again
>>added to the selling price ?
>>
>>I remember my first double disk drives for QL were around 200ukp, and
>>then there was the disk interface too :-(
>  In 1987/88 the Amiga A500 and Atari ST took off and went on to sell in
>the millions. Amstrad (Alan Sugar himself) said who wants a 16 bit
>computer, as a child reading computer magazines and looking at the
>graphics of the 68K based machines I knew why. I wanted one to replace
>my ZX-Spectrum. I fell Amstrad missed a opportunity to repacked to the
>QL in the same form and do the same as Commodore and Atari. I.e. add a
>normal keyboard, a 3.5" disc drive, upgrade the processor to a 68000 and
>most important of all add better graphics. As the QL with (QDOS) already
>existed (with an user and software base) it would have saved development
>time. Amstrad position is made more understandable by the quality of the
>CPC and his PC strategy. While on the subject of not created computers,
>Oric developed a 68K computer but could not get to work (see
>http://freespace.virgin.net/james.groom/oric/oricfaq.htm). Then their
>was the Spectrum Loki.

You are right, Tarquin, that was a really important time when Alan Sugar
/ Amstrad took over the rights to the Sinclair / QL.

If he / Amstrad had properly 'revamped' the QL, he would have had a very
competitive product in the personal computer market at that time.  He
could have sold a million or two ...

Yet AS is ( was ) a hard nosed business man, he ( quite rightly as
history now shows ) saw that PC's were the 'mass' market way to go.
Where are 'personal computers' now ? ... on the margins.  The market is
dominated by mass produced PC's ( alias business / home machines ).

Does anyone know how many millions of PC's have been sold, and how much
money has been generated by the PC Market in hardware / software, etc ?

So, AS was right to make the decision not to develop the QL !  Only his
own efforts with PC's eventually came to a halt some time later too :-)

--
Malcolm Cadman