At 04:32 PM 12/23/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>If you get time then try a visit to Dillions bookshop ... I have found
>this in the past to be a treasure of all the latest in computer related
>texts.

Latest does not necessarily mean good.  I find that most modern computer
books fall into two categories:

1 - Good thought out volumes on a particular computer program, language, or
technology.

2 - Worthless 500 page tome with the nutritional value of sugary breakfast
cereal.

Most O'Reilly books fall in the first category.  They are full of good
technical information that is aimed at the programmer or System
Administrator.  They cover topics like Perl, Apache, DNS, Cisco routers,
etc. Most are about an inch thick.  I've been buying O'Reilly books for
about 11 years and have about 30 so far.

The others are these "Java in 24 hours" tomes put out by publishers like
Que, that are 3-4 inches think and are pretty much worthless.  They are
aimed at the new guy to computers and are glitzy enough to catch the
attention of the new guy.  They seem to think that the greater the word
count, the better the book must be.

There are probably a few books on the last 10 years that might eventually
become classics.  There is a web page called "Joel of software" where this
guy talks about books and such, but he is mostly talking about
User-Interface books.

You might fine some good programming books at the local bookstore, but I
would aim for a computer speciality book store or an on-line bookstore
where the selection will be better.

I still say, stick with the classics, they have proven themselves over the
years.  "Elements of Programming Style" has not change since it's second
edition in 1978.  Current prices are probably in the $20-$30 range (if not
more).  I was able to find an older copy at a used bookstore for 80
cents.  I did the same with two of three Knuth books.

Another way to find out what might be a current classic is to read current
programming magazines, like Dr. Dobb's Journal, and see what books they
keep refering too.  I have not read DDJ is a number of hears (after having
a subscription from '88 to '95).

Tim Swenson