On  Sun, 30 Dec 2001 at 10:06:12,  Bill Waugh wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>Tony Firshman wrote:
>>
>> On  Sat, 29 Dec 2001 at 22:00:17,  Bill Waugh wrote:
>> (ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
>>
>> >Yep I spoke to Arnie once or twice, I think the Italian keyboard was
>> >SPEM, they flogged them off eventually as they fitted straight into the
>> >QL connector and I bought one it was pretty good.
>> My experience of these, from the repair end, is bad.
>>
>> Good points:
>>
>> . Looked good
>> . Felt good
>>
>> Bad points:
>>
>> . 'gold' pcb contacts weren't.  They oxidised and didn't work well
>>   after many years.  Disassembling and cleaning was possible but
>>   very difficult.
>>
>> . Suffered very badly from keybounce, esp when oxidised
>>   8749 developed to overcome this, but destroyed ser2.
>>   Hermes eventually solved this.
>>
>> . Ribbon cable to mini kbd connector pcb badly made - wires
>>   broke easily.  Solved with my ubiquitous hot glue.
>>
>> . Destroyed the QL keyboard sockets for membranes.
> Yes I eventually needed to use cut off strips of membrane to pad out
>the slot
>>
>> . QL case top destroyed
> Needed to file a slot in the back of the case to allow cable to sit in
Ah - I think this is a _different_ keyboard.
The one I was rabbiting on about actually took the place of the QL
keyboard.
Sorry....

>The Di-Ren stuff I still have although one of our club members has it on
>extended loan due to his S/H needing Tony's attention ( my fault I still
>haven't sent it to him ).
Please do - bet it is a broken pin.

--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk