On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Tony Firshman wrote:

> Bad points:
>
> . 'gold' pcb contacts weren't.  They oxidised and didn't work well
>   after many years.  Disassembling and cleaning was possible but
>   very difficult.

A pen eraser is the best tool for this. You just have to rub it up and
down the contacts instead of across them.

> . Destroyed the QL keyboard sockets for membranes.

That was kind of inevitable because we were putting a thin PCB into a
socket meant for a membrane. We tried lots of different things and decided
that was the "least impracticable"... Not good, but better than the
alternatives.

> . QL case top destroyed

There was discussion of making a case expander. We thought it was a smart
idea to split the case and mould an insert that would give approx 1.25"
extra height to the machine. We thought it would be great for flipping
cars over and running them back up inside the case, with a new row of
connectors at the back for parallel, floppy, etc. There was even hopes of
putting a 3.5" floppy in the right side of the case. I made a card/balsa
prototype but got annoyed with hitting the reset button when trying to
eject floppies.

Dave