On 1/3/02 at 9:00 PM Dexter wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been sat like a hawk on Ebay waiting for a QL to come up for auction.
>I recall the US QLs had a different ROM version and PSU, but are their any
>other differences?
>Is there a PSU and/or power supply section schematic anywhere, so if I got
>one shipped over, I could convert it for US 110v 60Hz operation? I'm
>competent to do it, *with the right information*...
>
>Dave

You need a 8V DC minimum at 1.8A (1A is more than enough if you don't use
any peripherals, but then you'll hardly be able to do anything much) and a
12-15V AC power. The 8V DC goes into a 7805 regulator, the 15V AC is used
for a +-12V supply (there is a rectifier and a 78L12/79L12 regulator pair
in the QL). If you are willing to modify the QL a bit you can use a
+5/+-12V power supply, these are commonly available at various surplus
dealers.
Also, if you can get a RGB monitor capable at operating at the right synch
frequency, don't bother with a US QL, you will likely just give yourself
more headaches with incompatibilities. An old Sony 1301/2 or 1401/2, NEC
Multisynch 3D and similar are perfect for the QL and it also goes up to
SVGA. Again, you should be able to get one for $50 or so at surplus
dealers. You might need to do a resistive divider on the RGB lines to get
the TTL output voltage down to 1Vpp standard RGB analog input level.

Nasta