Hi Dave,

>I'm still looking for a schematic of the QL PCB. Also, the 8049 details.
>I'm thinking of prototyping a 680X0 board with the basic QL facilities,
>minus the dodgy serial and net ports, plus IDE. I have a strongarm design
>here which has USB and ethernet and I'm seeing if there's a way to take
>advantage of any of that knowledge. I'm not looking to manufacture
>anything, but if I come up with any *good* interface schematics I'll
>publish them.

Very interesting. And nice to hear, that another QL hardware designer has
appeared.

Just a little hint: What you are going to do, overlaps a lot with work that
had already been done. E.g. the Aurora is a QL compatible mainboard
(without the CPU/RAM part) with QL extension bus. The Q40/Q60 are complete
QL replacements, with ISA-style extension bus.

I gather you want a single-board system, but is that worth re-inventing the
wheel? How about an Ethernet/USB/whatever-you-like add-on for existing
hardware instead of a completely new mainboard design?

If it makes good sense to put your add-ons onto the same board with
existing stuff, that could still be done later on.

That's just a little though. I don't mean to corrupt your ideas. Please
design whatever you like :-)

All the best

Peter