Hi again, all...

I've come to understand the reality of the QL scene as it now stands. It
didn't take long, did it? :o)

Basically, the marketplace is too small to be economically viable. There
are not resources to fund development of significant new hardware on a
fully commercial basis. People with skills basically support the system by
donating their time and skills, and developing wonderful boards like the
Q40, and Q60, but I'm sure those people will be first to say it doesn't
support a business...

Usually, one or two particularly devout and enthusiastic hobbyists step
forward and take up the banner (that would be the Tony Firshmans and Q60
designers of the world) but they don't make a profit - particularly if
they take into account the time they spend on it.

At this point, most groups of users usually disperse or disband.

What does it take to reverse this state of fortune? You have to revive the
marketplace, or generate a new marketplace that's ideally suited to those
users. It has to be able to generate income. It has to have lots of users
that are willing to spend lots of money...

How would you do that?

You have to have hardware or software so compelling, people simply have to
buy it. It also has to look like, or share a major characteristic with the
original products.

That's a tough target, but not impossible... The Q60 is about as close to
that as you can get without shaving your head and shouting "I'm Clive!",
it's just really expensive because of the small production runs... They
must have spent *months* working on it just to sell a few units. True love
;)

Anyway, enough rambling...

Dave