At 12:33 μμ 24/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>I used to work for Snowdon Mountain Railway. The company that made
>their disastrous Mountain Railcar unit went bust, many of the
>employees now produce sprinter type trains made (I think) by a company
>called Alstom. Some of their new trains are out of action more than in
>action on the lines near here, seems anytime you put a computer near a
>train it's a recipe for disaster.

Alstom produces the TGV indeed. (And parts for the Acela too).
I wouldn't know about British commissioned high speed railways, however TGV
trains are largely computer controlled and never had significant problems
(apart from strikes that is ;-)))

Actually Acela components that break down most often are the US made power
transfer systems (I wonder why didn't they stick with the French tried and
proved methods, and power req's and they wanted something different on that
part...) (That's extremely weird considering the phrase If it works don't
touch it probably originated in the US... and at least it's an alltime
favourite here ;-) and the Bombardier / Canadian made TGV modified
suspension (TGV uses suspension that's unlike any other train suspension
since it is actually located between the cars and not under them -Makes for
a really smooth ride-)
I wonder what they gonna do with the Maglev they plan on building now...
(They need to install a QL so it will run properly... Phew! back on topic)

Phoebus