This may or may not work  [someone else will tell you whether this is
worth trying OR you can just give it a go] ...

When I looked at the NETwork ports on the QL a long time ago, I (lacking
the hardware expertise of others to realistically analyze the schematic
and chip functions) nonetheless ascertained that there were two pins on
the SERial port which the NETwork's two connections echoed ...

THAT suggests that if you ascertain which SERial pins are in play, you
_may_ be able to simply run a SERial connection from your Q40 [OR, does
the Q40 have NETwork ports?!?  AND, if not, then why not?] to the NETwork
port of your son's QL.

You will, of course, need TK2 from a (borrowed?) dongle or ____ to take
advantage of the NFS_USE keyword and/or node assignment (node assignment
defaults to 'Net 1', AFAIK ... for the Q40 can be 'Net 2').

I remember reading [in the QUANTA newsletter!] that they supposedly
managed to network 64 QLs at CERN (the inference was that they were NOT
using TK2's NFS_USE keyword since my recollection is that the program
LISTing did not invoke anything other than node assignment] ... I haven't
got a clue how they actually managed to make the NETwork function without
TK2, but they are (generally?!?) smarter than I am.

IF you manage to effect a NETwork connection between the two computers,
you can either set up a PEER_TO_PEER or a MASTER_SLAVE network (the
former *if* you want to SAVE your son's work on your Q40's hard drive or
a dedicated "floppy").

Al

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.