On 09/04/02 at 17:49 Tony Firshman wrote:

>>Citroen C5 has nothing to do with Sinclair, though I am sure their
>>marketing department must have been caugh unaware by the history of that
>>'name' in the UK.
>>...you get to preach that there are better ways to drive around on 4
>>(and actually, even 3 - some will work without one rear) wheels!

>Oddly enough on the way back from the recent Eindhoven QL show, a
>Citroen in front of us had a flat tyre and diesel was pouring out of it.
>I pumped it up for him - but I see he could have driven without it (8-)#

If it's one with a hydropneumatic suspension, yes, it can go without one of
the rear wheels, if the suspension is set to high (although this is really
only for emergency). The suspension is self-leveling and it will try to do
that even with no wheels - most of the weight being in the front helps with
the 3 wheel situation. I've done it with the one I used to have for a bet
(well, they wouldn't believe me until I showed them!). Unfortunately, this
ability can also be a detriment. There is hardly any difference in driving
with one of the rear tires completely flat, unless the car is substantially
loaded, and even then it's not any great problem. If your hearing isn't so
good, you may end up with a burning flat tire...

As for the state of the car you mention, this is not surprising. Most
Citroens, especially with hydraulic suspension get to be worn into the
ground rather than serviced. The service outlets are it's biggest enemy and
they are expensive, so people just keep driving on... I've had my hands
(head, feet, body) in/under/over quite a few, the stories I could tell...
Contrary to popular opinion, they are really not that complicated, just
very different (sonds familiar? Almost on topic here :-) ).

Nasta