Tony Firshman writes:

> >Only tested on SMSQ/E, but there is no reason that I know, why it should
not
> >work on any high-end Qdos system with at least 2MB of memory, a hard disk
> >and the necessary system extensions. See the Readme for full details.
>
> You call the install program 'FFinstall_exe' - but it is (of course)
> _obj

We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said, clambering down off the the
toilet brush.. Its correctly spelt in the installation instructions (1.1).

> I LRESPRed ptrmen_cde (easyptr toolkit) and the extensions are listed
> (extras)

You dont need to load anything in advance of using the installation program.
It tries very hard to work out the extensions and extras you need, so by
this ability.. (see 1.1)

> EX FFinstall_obj  locks QL up.  Nothing changed on screen - simply dead
> QL, although sH is still active (keyclicks and capslock etc) - but that
> might be internal to sH.
>
> Minerva 1.97/Aurora/SGC/RomDisq/sH/qubide

Thanks for all that, Tony. Im sure splashing this sort of ignominious
failure onto the users list does our cause a world of good. It inspires just
that sort of confidence we were all looking for, eh? The kind of scenario
you describe is typical of much of the free software for the QL Ive tried.
However, since people hardly ever let authors know, thats usually how it
remains. I  stuck my neck out to overcome just this sort of problem.

I believe I know where the problem lies, but I dont have a working
Qdos/Minerva system at the moment (which is why I wrote: Only tested on
SMSQ/E)  so Id have to get that sorted out first.

Now that Minerva users have been sufficiently warned off, dare I just remind
the SMSQ/E users among you that this wee hiccough shouldnt apply to them?
I have it from reliable sources that at least three SMSQ/E users have
successfully installed and run FastFind, but that is the sum total of my
information so far.

If you like the program tell the world; if theres a problem, tell me!

Per