Dilwyn Jones wrote:

>>This sounds very much like the protection on Paraoh (right name?) -
>>
> where
>
>>you had to navigate through a purple(ish) maze with egyptian style
>>
> music in
>
>>the background, avoiding naties like snakes.  A bit of code was
>>
> loaded from
>
>>a hidden file (the directory had to be changed before it could be
>>
> loaded,
>
>>and changed again afterwards to rehide it) into the base of the
>>
> screen
>
>>memory ($20000) where upon it was called.
>>
> This sounds like the system used in the old Sinclair Production Kit,
> protected fast load basic programs, with some code held in hidden
> files. In older versions, the file was called no name (i.e. FLP1_) but
> when subdirectories were 'invented' this got changed to a single space
> "FLP1_ " which you often couldn't see as it was the last file on the
> cartridge so you didn't notice the filename.

The visible code file (well, for Pharoah anyway) contained the object code
encrypted and the hidden file contained a simple bit of code to decrypt
(look out DMCA...) the program/data.  If I had the time...

> Some software didn't have copy protection as such and was simple
> written to run from specific addresses. OK on a 128KB QL then on
> expanded memory systems the code wasn't where it expected to be and
> BANG! when you tried to call or execute it.

Hence the 'addr=RESPR(RESPR(0)-<sum amount>)' that some proggies used to try
and ensure they got their correct address...I vaguely remember some program
that actually absolute-a-dized itself at run time (I think it had a table of
offsets that stored offsets that were added to the base address of the job
and replaced) - the mark II of the absolute program.