In a message dated 10/09/02 11:53:17 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I tried converting the first partition to Qubide using the following procedure:

LRESPR win1_SOFTROM_rext
SOFTROM win1_CLASSIC3r25_rom

This starts QDOS Classic which initializes the Qubide 1.56 which fails to find any Qubide partitions (not unexpectedly at this point).

EXEC flp1_partition_exe
launches

                     Partition  v1.53                (c) PA Borman 1996

Drives currently attached:

Drive   Tracks    Heads   Secs     Drive Name
  1       8192     208      0     K###K###K###K###K###K###K###

Edit which drive (ESC to quit):

[The geometry reported is clearly incorrect, and on screen the #s in the reported drive name are actually shaded 'block-cursor' shapes.  Geometry and drive name are garbage. I selected drive 1 which produced the following message: ]

The activity light for the selected drive should be on.
Is this the right drive?

[The activity light is not on; it works when accessing the drive in SMSQ/E and Linux.
There is only one drive attached so I persevered and entered 'y', which produced the next response: ]

This is not a Qubide drive.
Create a Qubide partition?

[it's already obvious it isn't going to work, but nothing to lose, so enter 'y':]

This is not a Qubide drive.
Press a key

[After this nothing has been done to the disk contents which still works with SMSQ/E and Linux.]

I'm going to make an effort to get to the workshop on Sunday 22nd and I'm tempted to bring the Q40 with me.

I think the problem is that SMSQ/E on the Q40/Q60 will have formatted the first partition of the hard disk as an Atari format hard drive.

You need to reformat the start of the drive from QDOS Classic, with the FORMAT WIN1_ command - not too sure how you ensure that this does not overwrite the Linux partitions and I don't have a Q40 to try it out...

Rich Mellor
RWAP Software
7 Common Road, Kinsley, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF9 5JR
TEL: 01977 614299
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/rwapsoftware