From: Al Feng
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Hardware platforms

QLAY [downloadable freeware] _is_ a 100% QDOS [or, MINERVA] compatible
emulator on a PC platform.  There is a LINUX compatible version, too.

QLAY will probably do 95% of what you are looking for.

The current/persistent limitations of QLAY are its inability to communicate
with SERial or FLP ... files are held on a WIN drive.

QUILL files, for example, can be created and SAVEd, but must be PRINTed
through DOS ... transfers must be done in DOS, etc.

Non-text files may need to be ZIPped before being transferred through DOS for
PC-disk to QL ...

Both of the limitations [i.e., lack of FLP & SERial support] can probably be
overcome if a QLever QUANTA member (OR, any other QLingon reading this LIST)
who can write machine code (or, assembly?) would "complete" the code.

SBYTEd dongled-TK2_code can be used with QLAY.

I have read that QLAY is much slower than QPC when run on the same platform
(factor of 3?).  AFAIK, QLAY's speed is dependent on the host platform's
speed -- I think that on anything faster than a 66MHz PC, QLAY will be faster
than the original QL.  Again, the QPC emulation will be much faster on a
faster host platform.

---

  • ... Ian . Pine
  • ... RWAPSoftware