> Well on the Q40 (at least mine) I tried to load it and it's impossible
> to get it to work.

There has been a long history with incompatibilities between the
Q40 and Prowess. I have managed to get it working, though and
working correctly on the latest SMSQ/E (2y99 - else I wouldn't
have released it!).

For one thing, it is important to get the latest version of Prowess,
as can be found on Joachim's site.

You should really ditch your old Proforma/Prowess, including,
especially, the configuration files (proforma_cfg, prowess_cfg - but
keep a backup of these) and use only the one downloaded from the
site.

At the beginning, use the standard config files. I have found that
they work without a hitch coming stright out of the "box", as they
should.

Then you can incorporate the changes you have made to your old
config files. I know there was a line in there that causes Prowess
(or rather Proforma IIRC) to crash, but I have lost my notes on this
problem :-(((. I *think* it was something to do with the font caches,
but am not sure.

I have also found that sometimes it is easier to split up the
"startup" file into two.

My first one looks like this:

"%% general ProWesS startup file
&prg_setenv PWSDIR
+$PWSDIR_prg;$PWSDIR_ext;$PWSDIR_mine

%% first executable thing which is needed
&rext rext

%% load button frame (if doesn't exist)
%% rext button_rext "Button Frame"
%% already in SMSQ/E

%% load DATAdesign engine
%% rext engine_rext DATAdesign.engine
%% already loaded

%% load PROforma library
pf_PROforma $PWSDIR_mine
&wait "PROforma DLL"
"

and the second one:

"
%% general ProWesS startup file
&prg_setenv PWSDIR
+$PWSDIR_prg;$PWSDIR_ext;$PWSDIR_mine

%% load ProWesS library
pw_ProWesS $PWSDIR_mine
&wait ProWesS

%% load some useful executable things
rext loader
rext setenv
rext request
rext cbutton
rext mbutton
rext reader
rext calc
rext rconfig
&wait "ProWesS reader"

%% actually set up standard system
%% personal_ldr
%% mbutton intro -name "ProWesS - start here" -wait
"

I start them up with something like:

EX dev1_prowess_prg_loader;"dev1_prowess_startup_1"

and

EX dev1_prowess_prg_loader;"dev1_prowess_startup_2"

at different stages of my boot process. I load the same boot for
QPC and the Q60, and Prowess works on both systems.

(a small advertisement here : I've noticed that the standard
distribution doesn't seem to included sprite_pfd, which enables you
to display normal PE sprites and is needed for, e.g. Agenda. It can
be obatined from me).

>  but I still have problems with its response.

I must admit that I do, too.
It is not a question of slow loading on bootup - that is not a problem
for me as I load so many things on boot that I don't even notice
Prowess.
 However, I think that Joachim's answer about precalculated fonts
is the direction to look at. This should make things a bit faster. It is
true, however, that opening new windows under Prowess is
noticeably slower than under WMAN. Here at the office, I use QPC
with a 730 Athlon and there is a noticeable lag when opening new
windows (e.g. under Agenda).
Perhaps this is something that can be speeded up.

> would like to use the PROforma part of it  used more however. (which I
> plan on getting into in depth (better late than never) after I sort
> out what's wrong with it on the Q40. It installed on SMSQ/E 2.91 but I
> can't really use it with 4 colours now... can I? :-) )

I hope the above help!

I use the Proforma part every day, since I print my invoices with it
directly from Basic onto a PCL compatible laser printer. Really
great stuff, that!

> The combination of WMAN + PROforma seems more sensible due to the main
> advantage of WMAN being written in assembly...
>
> I am sending you a separate file to illustrate what MY preference
> would be :-)
Good....

Wolfgang