On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 05:44:57 -0500, ZN wrote:

> Thierry, I have a question - would it be possible to adapt the SMSQ/E hard
> disk driver to the Qubide? This way there could be a standard of sorts,
> especially since the Qubide driver is no longer maintained, and sources are
> not available... The reason you are getting asked is of course being famous
> for writing the CD ROM driver ;-)

It is definitely possible to modify slightly the Q60/Q40 sources of the hard
disk driver so to make them compatible with Qubide, then to compile and link
the corresponding module into the GoldCard version of SMSQ/E... The changes
would be very tiny (I/O addresses mainly, and probably the removal of some
Q40/Q60 hardware interrupt registers settings).

The problem is: how would you boot up SMSQ/E from the hard disk then, given
that Qubide and QXL.WIN partitions are not compatible ?... Of course, you
could boot it from a floppy or from a RomDisq.  As for porting the SMSQ/E
drivers so to make them ROMable and part of the Qubide board, it might be
possible, although probably not as easy. Another possibility would be to
make Qubide and SMSQ/E drivers to co-exist (with different device names,
of course, such as 'win' and 'hdd'), but it might be tricky to make them
recognize their own partitions on the same hard disk...

I could have a look into it, as soon as I get the proper sources for SMSQ/E
v3.01 (the ones I got for now fail to compile properly all but the Q40/Q60
version of SMSQ/E)...

QDOS/SMS forever !

Thierry ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).