----- Original Message -----
From: Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] sernet

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:23:38 +0100, Dilwyn Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> > I've been able to get it to work between machines of the same
type,
> > but not different type (e.g. QPC/Aurora). There was also a problem
> > version which didn't work. At one Quanta workshop, I pestered and
> > pestered Bernd Reinhardt to help me with it, after he got home to
> > Germany he sent me an email to say that the version I had at the
time
> > DIDN'T WORK. I forget now which version it was, somewhere between
> > v2.21 and 2.24 (I'm using 2.25 and that does work).
> >

> Had no problems with Aurora/QPC, Aurora/Q40, Q40/QPC and even US QL
(with a
> slight modification on the cable for obvious reasons) with
everything else.
> Sernet hasn't let me down for one second
> > Distributed SERNETs only work in a two machine setup, it does not
> > support three or more machines in a loop (think it was something
to do
> > with speed or timing). Bernd did offer to send me the
multi-machine
> > version, but since that needs a loop cable with special wiring I
shied
> > away from that.
> >
> > Re. the Aurora, I have never been able to get anything serial port
> > working on it. It would be great to get the serial ports tested to
see
> > if they're wired wrongly or something, as sernet isn't the only
thing
> > i've failed to get working on it.
>

> Me on the other hand use the serial ports of the Aurora ALL the
time. It is
> essential to remember that you need the modern PC/IDC to DB9
(upper/lower
> row) cables and not the older ones (pin-to pin). If you grabbed your
serial
> connectors off one of the older ISA Multi I/Os chances are they will
not
> work.. (Note I am talking abour non-superHermes ports which work
anyway).
The cables came from Ron Dunnett originally, and the machine itself
was built by Keith Mitchell so chance of anything not working are
virtually nil I'd have thought.

> Now if you are trying to use SER3 with a superHermes and its
redirection
> that WILL NOT work.
Nope, 9-pin D connectors on both SER1 and SER2.

> Remember that Sernet on an Aurora will NOT work on
> anything above 4800 baud regardless superHermes.
AH! I have been (trying to) use it at default (9,600 baud?) baudrate.
That might well be the reason.

> As for multi machine.... I didn't know there was one? I am using the
Sernet
> that came with v. 2.76 of SMSQ/E for the Gold Card... are there
more? Where
> can I get the last version???? :-D
Good question, if Jochen can't supply it, try Bernd Reinhardt who was
the last maintainer of sernet that I knew of. Last email address I had
was [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] (both addresses
rather old, might possibly be out of date)

--
Dilwyn Jones

  • ... Michael Grunditz
      • ... Dilwyn Jones