Phoebus Dokos wrote:
> Actually I believe the reason for non-involvment is that either they have
> solved the problem or that they use QL software under QPC2 so even in that
> case their problems are already solved in one way or another. Do not
> forget that discussion in this list includes mostly people with access to
> PCs so the problem is not that big there.
>
> Now regarding usb, there has been a USB host design even for a ZX spectrum
> (for c.s.s afficionados) but as Nasta will surely explain there are
> several problems that will made the cost of manufacturing a unit
> prohibiting. To create a USB host adapter for a QL machine is not that big
> a challenge if the appropriate hardware is secured but these things change
> everyday. The even greater challenge is who's going to write the software.
> On top of the USB driver you will also need  a printer driver that can
> generate the appropriate output for these usb only dumb printers and
> that's totally prohibiting for both the OS and the processing power (and
> time involved). It is much better to concentrating on other printing
> solutions (ie TCP printing) or invest in a better printer that does have a
> parallel port and will work properly.

  The following paragraph may be wrong.The hardware is easy, just use a
parallel to USB converter. Parallel is faster than USB 1.1 and below. The
problem is writing the USB stack, other USB writers target keyboards as
they can work with same driver. One route to writing USB might be to
support a device that exists in both USB and ser or par format.
  I notice Phoebus mentions getting the solid ink colour printer that I
talked about in the QL Today in Colour argument, which has got a lot cheaper
and is now manufacture by Xerox. I wanted to buy one of these but my mother
stopped so I got a Epson C80, that neither of us are happy with.
  I think all retro platforms are suffering from the same problem, we can
either try and keep up, which can help push us forward, or design a retro
printer. A half way house would be an embedded computer converting from
par_ to usb and converting print languages, ESC/P2 -> winprinter. This
could be sold with a printer by dealers.
  Inkjets are the real problem, dot matrix printers are still made (why?),
they are 24 pin and not warnout. Non cheaper laser are still OK. Linuxs
increasing market share could could change the printer market, though I am
know questioning the market share figure for Windows.

Geoff Wick wrote:
> PS: I am having a little trouble displaying the new QL colours on my green
> monitor (sob). Can anyone help? (burst of laughter).
I may be able to help.
--
                       Tarquin Mills

Norwich Spectrum and SAM Show (ORSAM 2003)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/speccyverse/orsam.htm
    • ... gwicks
        • ... Marcel Kilgus
        • ... Peter Fox