On  Sun, 25 Jan 2004 at 16:09:10, Arnould Nazarian wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>My son, 16, used to use the family PC, Athlon 1,8 GHz + 256 MB of
>memory. It was not fast enough for his taste, and he wanted to have his
>own environment so he got a Pentium 3GHz PC + 1 GB of memory (not from
>me, from his mother, I wasn't aware of their plans...)
My son is exactly the same - he has a transparent case as well with
loads of fans, strip lights, leds and a lanparty motherboard with
fluorescent fittings!
><snip>
>OTOH it was easily installed. No need to fiddle with drivers etc.. that
>is why I won't install Linux on my PC. And I am not sure that it would
>be better anywhay.
I have installed many, many Linux systems, including the Q40 and have
_never_ (yes never)  had to manually install any drivers.
I bet you will find the same, if you use a good up to date kernel (esp
debian).
Go on - try it.  You could then run UQLX (is that the right name?)

My Linux system has been 100% crash free in 4 years of 24 hour
operation.
Well system crash free.  The only times I have had problems was when
hard disks were failing.  Even then Linux recovered the system very
well.  It said it was re-booting, said it could not automagically
recover the HD, told me what command to use from system, found the dead
sectors and mapped them out, and to cap it all gave me a list of the
affected files.  It even said I should backup the system, and replace
the HD, which I did.
It was a dual boot system, and _all_ W98 did was give me a blue screen,
with the usual rubbish info.

How have you this bad attitude to Linux?  You have been listening to the
worng people.  It is Windows that gives troubles.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk

  • ... Arnould Nazarian
      • ... Tony Firshman
      • ... Arnould Nazarian