In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, =?iso-8859-7?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKNbv3+Lv8iDRLiDN9Pzq7/IpIg==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
I beg to differ when it comes to Wintel machines. The whole point of having something like Windows XP is to make the machine behave and use like a toaster/washer etc. Granted it still have some ways to go but it's definitely what is attempted. For any NORMAL user (ie use the machine as a convenience device ie send/receive email, get news from a News Service (hi Tony!) print recipes and play music, games and your occasional DVD) NO configuration is -or at least should be according to what Windows XP is aimed at- necessary apart of regular TLC (keep it clean and connect it to power... same as the minimal care a consumer device would need ie. almost none). Usually, if the user sticks with what is preinstalled and doesn't install anything more than he/she needs any machine (Windows included) will never give any trouble barring a hardware failure.
OK, I would agree that this is what they aim at but, given the vast array of hardware available and the fact that many of the drivers do not work properly especially when they first come out some sort of tinkering is unavoidable. No one sticks with what is installed and most people go onto the Internet and the moment you add some hardware/software or open the system up to virus and spyware activity you are into maintenance. Lets face it there is not a single household appliance that does not need some kind of attention and the more complicated the device the more attention it needs. All editions of Windoze and Orifice need to be updated with service packs and security updates and hard drives need defragmentation - even QL ones except we do not have a tool for it. I would never let any system be and always tinker with it removing bits I do not need and resetting stuff so it runs correctly. I suspect it is because he has not done any of this that it does not work.

--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.

    • ... Tony Firshman
    • ... Arnould Nazarian
  • ... Tony Firshman
    • ... Alex Wells